Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

I read Unearthly for the Radical Read-Along that I hosted with Kyrstianna and Jenna. It’s a Young Adult novel about angels. I haven’t read many books like this one. In fact, I think it might be the first real angel book I've read. I could be wrong but I’m too lazy to check. Unearthly is Cynthia Hand’s debut novel that came out quite a while ago. I don’t know why I didn't read it sooner but I’m definitely glad I did. I loved this book and gave it straight up 5 STARS.  Maybe it was the fun of reading it with others but I really couldn't find any real problems with the book.
Characters:
The characters are definitely one of my favourite things about this book. The protagonist, Clara was a pretty cool character. Even though she was part angel, she still had all those classic but relatable teenage attributes. The book is also composed of a love Triangle between Tucker and Christian. Tucker is awesome! He’s fun and super likable whereas even though Christian is really hot, he’s really plain. Clara’s mum and brother as well as her two friends Wendy and Angela are all nice additions to the story.
Pros:
Continuing on about the characters, they all had very realistic personalities. They were all mysterious with heaps of layers to unfold. Even now, there’s so much more I need to learn about them. The book was written in a super fast pace that was easy to follow and easy to enjoy. Even though some might say the story isn't original, I think otherwise. So many bombshells were dropped that I didn't even see coming. I love it when books have the element of surprise because not many can do that for me anymore. Without spoilers, the ending was spectacular. It’s one of those perfect ones where everything works out but there are still mysteries left to be solved in the next book.
Cons:
Hm, cons. I don’t think I really have any. Sometimes the characters got annoying but they never got SUPER annoying and in the end, it all worked out.
Summary:
Finally, it's clear that I love this book. I'm about to go to add this to my favourites list on Goodreads now. I recommend this to all Young Adult lovers even if you think you might now like angel novels. I'm super pumped to read the second book.

Buy Unearthly on Amazon
Buy Unearthly on the Book Depository
Please leave a comment, follow, and +1. Thank you for supporting my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment