Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy. 
Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

Clockwork Princess is the final book in the Infernal Devices series/trilogy by Cassandra Clare. As you probably expected here on my blog, this book is a Young Adult and a Romance book. It is also a fantasy book. The series is about Shadowhunters and Downworlders (warlocks, vampires, fairies and werewolves). In this book Tessa and the Shadowhunters must fight against Mortmain and his Infernal Devices to protect the whole race. I gave this book a 4.8 STARS. So what made me take of that 0.2 of a star? Continue reading to see why I absolutely adored this book but also the minor thing that made me bring score down.
Writing:
I don't normally address the writing in it's own paragraph but I just have to express how amazing it is. I love how at the beginning of every paragraph Cassandra Clare starts with a excerpt from a text. The chapter's names are also from poems, plays etc. I think this a really smart way to introduce a new chapter. She also uses flashbacks and going back in time to go deeper into the story. Because the story is set in the late 1800's and early 1900's the language and context is different. I love how Cassandra Clare uses the right speech to fit the time period. Things like "I shan't" really brings the characters to life.
Characters:
I love love loved the characters in this book and the series overall. I love how Cassandra Clare cleverly connects them to the characters in the Mortal Instruments series even though the time periods and settings are completely different. The characters were so strong and unique to themselves. I loved the Lightwood brothers, Sophie, Cecily, Charlotte, Henry, Magnus and the more minor characters Bridget and Cyril. They all had they're unique personalities. I also liked the way the main trio - Tessa, Will and Jem - ended up. Love triangles are hard, especially when you don't know who you're fighting for but the ending of Clockwork Princess was perfect. I won't spoil it but let's just say it was beautiful but sad at the same time.
Pros:
Well obviously, I loved the writing and the characters. I really liked how Cassandra wrapped up the series. If you've read my past reviews, you know that I hate endings that don't tie loose ends, well this one definitely does. The ending was a highlight for me. I also really liked the epilogue. It ended the Infernal Devices but it also gave us a sneak peek for the last book in the Mortal Instruments series. This book evoked so many different emotions.
Cons:
Unfortunately, I couldn't give this book a 5 out of 5 for one minor reason. I couldn't get into the book right from the start. It's really a bummer when this happens. It took me a few chapters to really want to read the book.
Summary:
This book was amazing. If you haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's books, go do it now! I suggest reading both the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices in the order that they came out. Read them closely so that you can really see the connections between the two. Some say that City of Bones, the first book of the Mortal Instruments is a bit boring and I totally understand but once you get through that one, the rest is amazing. Clockwork Princess definitely deserves it 4.8 STARS. 
Favourite Quotes:
"The good suffer, the evil flourish, and all that is mortal passes away."
"Truth is brighter than the light, Falsehood darker than the night. Revenge is keener than an axe, And love is softer than melting max."
"How could three people who cared for another so much cause one another so much pain?"
"Life is a book, and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read. I would read them together with you, as many as I can, before I die-"

Buy Clockwork Princess on the Book Depository
You can also receive 2 free e-books of your choice out of thousands of options. Just visit BookBuddie by clicking the link.
Please leave a comment, follow, and +1. Thank you for supporting the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment