Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

 Requiem (Delirium, #3) They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.
But we are still here.
And there are more of us every day.
Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.
After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.
Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.
Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.
But we have chosen a different road.
And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.
We are even free to choose the wrong thing.
Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

Before I start the review, I'd just like to make a note that the name I'm posting by is different now but it's still me. I went from just 'Laura' to 'Laura T' because Google+ insists that I have a last name.

3.5 STARS
Requiem is the third and final book in the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. It's a YA, Romance book (of course). It's also set in a dystopian world. Basically, in this world, the government has banned love. Delirium was about how Lena, the main character, falls in love anyway. I hope that's not a spoiler but I'm pretty sure everyone would've seen that coming. Pandemonium, which was the second book, was about the wilds outside the world of rules. Basically, Requiem is the continuation. It's about the fight for freedom and the ability to love. There will be no spoilers in my review as long as you've read the first two books. Honestly though, all the things I spoil are pretty predictable and I''m sure it wouldn't ruin much for you. Click 'read more' to see the full review of how I feel about the book and the Delirium series overall.

Characters:
The characters in the book weren't so realistic but I did love them and how they all played a good part in the story. The main character Magdalena or Lena was a very strong and fierce character compared to how she was in the first book. Aside from her love issues, she was a very strong protagonists. The story is written in to points of views and the other protagonist is Hana who was Lena's best friend before she was 'cured' from love. She wasn't cured properly and she suspects that she is 'defected' since she still feels things that she's not meant to. She's getting married to the new mayor in town. I love it when books have that one crazy politician guy that wants to kill everyone.
Description:
I feel like a description isn't really needed because the blurb really does say it all.
Pros:
Requiem was a very good continuation of Pandemonium. I loved the character development and how Hana broke through the cure. The two story-lines seemed so far apart since Lena was in the wilds and Hana was inside the fence but they connected and intertwined effortlessly at the end.  The ending was very captivating and quick to read.
Cons:
Now for the problems. It was a good book but there were many things that made the book good and not absolutely fantastic. I gave it a 3.5 but honestly, I was just being nice. The beginning was pretty boring and I was only reading it so that I could get to the end. Then once I got to the end it was action packed but it never really ended. The last chapter didn't tie all the loose ends and it left me feeling confused. What happened next? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that this is the last book and last books should have epilogues. WHERE IS THE EPILOGUE? Sometimes imagination is good but I really wish I was given a better understanding of what happens.
Summary:
Overall, I think that read it if you've already read the first two books but I don't think I would recommend the series overall. It's not that I regret reading it, it's just that the book didn't really leave me with anything. The first book was kind of just annoying. The second book was a drag and the last book didn't even have a proper ending.
Favourite Quotes:
Thought I would just add this in:
"And you can't love, not fully, unless you are loved in return."
"He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly."
"Otherwise you may never know hell; but you will not find heaven either."

Enter my current giveaway to win Ellen Harger's Strong Enough.
Buy Requiem on the Book Depository 
Buy Requiem on Amazon
You can also receive 2 free e-books of your choice out of thousands of options. Just visit BookBuddie by clicking the link.
Please leave a comment, follow, and +1. Thank you for supporting my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment